As a school social worker, I often encourage my students to engage in these practices. I was also encouraged by a reiki specialist to engage in some of these practices for my own benefit. She also recommended “earthing”, which happens to be my favorite way to ground myself.
Earthing is the process of absorbing earths free flowing electrons from its surface through the soles of ones feet – in other, simpler terms? It’s literally standing or walking around in the grass barefoot hahaha. Call me a hippie, but I love it!
- Body: lay on the ground, press your toes into the floor or squeeze something (stress ball, playdough)
- 5 senses: wear your favorite sweatshirt, use essential oils, make a cup of tea
- Self-soothe: take a shower or bath, find a grounding object, light candles
- Observe: describe an object in detail (color, texture, shadow, light, shapes)
- Breathe: practice 4-7-8 breathing (inhale for 4, hold for 7, exhale for 8)
- Distract: find all the square or green objects in the room, count by 7’s, say the date